Monday, June 8, 2009

Old Mountain Cast Iron Cookware







Cast iron cookware has been around for hundreds of years. Cast iron has excellent heat retention and diffusion. It can withstand and maintain very high cooking temperatures, making it a great choice for slow cooking stews, searing and frying. Cast iron cookware is also known to leach small amounts of iron into the food cooked in it which could be beneficial to those with iron deficiencies.




Seasoning cast iron cookware protects it from rusting and provides a non-stick surface for cooking. It is basicly a three step process, starting with cleaning, then applying a layer of vegetable oil, lard or bacon fat and then heating the fat to bond to the metal. Follow these easy instructions to season your cast iron cookware:




1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash cookware with hot, soapy, water and a stiff brush. Rinse and dry.
3. Completely coat inside and outside surfaces with melted vegetable oil or shortening (some people prefer lard or bacon fat).
4. Place cookware on middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove cookware and wipe it almost dry to prevent pooling of shortening or oil. Place back in oven for another 30 minutes.




After cooking with cast iron cookware, do not wash with soap or load in dishwasher, as this will remove the seasoning. Simply rinse with hot water and wipe clean with a paper towel. Cast iron cookware looks great displayed on a hutch or on your stovetop.

9 comments:

bluecottonmemory said...

I have my grandmother's cast iron skillet. I love it!

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

This post is really great! I love cast iron, but don't have any yet. But, I've bookmarked this information so I can refer back to it.
Stopping in from SITS to wish you a fantastic Friday!

Your cool friend Cheryl said...

I love cast iron!

Stopping by from sits to say hi. Have a great day!

AB HOME INTERIORS said...

Holy Cow! Hahaha Super cute!! Leaving some SITS Friday bloggy love!

meandtheblueskies said...

There's nothing like cooking with a cast iron skillet! Great job on the seasoning techniques. And if you have a chance, stop by my blog and enter my one year anniversary contest!

Patrice said...

I think I should have that cast iron at home too. Very well explained post.

Jewelry Rockstar said...

I love cast iron! I do wash mine with soap though and it hasn't removed the seasoning. I guess it's because I've been using it so long.

queenoftheclick said...

I love cast iron cookware. I know it's heavy, but it has such a simple elegance to it.

Decor mamma said...

Great cast iron cookware! My husband and I love to grill, but in the winter, throw some steaks on a hot cast iron skillet...and they come out just as good!! And of course they last forever!