Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Victorian Style Beaded Fringe Tiffany Lamps


The term "Victorian style" refers to the architecture, fashion and decorative arts influenced by the Victorian Era, the period of Queen Victoria's reign in the United Kingdom from 1837-1901. The eclectic style of the Victorian era included cross-cultural influences from the middle east and Asia. During the Victorian era, trends came about such as the Aesthetic Movement, Arts and Crafts Movement and Art Nouveau Movement. Interior decor from this era was neat, orderly and very ornately decorated. Rooms such as the parlor and dinning room, where guests were usually entertained, were filled with art and decor. Plain or sparsely decorated rooms were considered poor taste.

The late 1800's and early 1900's were also the heyday of the original Tiffany lamps created by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Many of his lamp designs were inspired by the Art Nouveau Movement. Most Tiffany reproduction lamps are famously known as lamps made with individual pieces of stained glass soldered together using the Copper Foil Method. A quality made stained glass Tiffany lamp is considered a work of art and well worth the money.

There are also the fabric and fringe and glass globe and fringe Victorian style Tiffany lamps. These beautiful, classy lamps add a sense of romance to the room and are slightly less expensive than most traditional stained glass Tiffany lamps.

The delicately beaded fringe that cascades from either the sleek glass domes or textured fabric shades, combined with traditional elegant Tiffany style bronze bases are what make these lamps so visually appealing. Placing a lace tablecloth under the lamp adds a nice finishing touch.

16 comments:

Rocksee said...

Ok, that Tiffany lamp is so going in my house. I don't have anywhere to put it, but it is AMAZING.

I'm not sure about the Queen Latifah photo.. just found it online.. but she is stunning. I just think that she's such a role model to people.. to just love what you have and flaunt it!

I shouldnt have posted such a dumpy post today.. I'm not feeling to bloggy tonight. I'll have to redeem myself tommorrow.. :)

How was your day today? Ok I hope!

wenderful said...

Thanks for stopping by and helping me celebrate my sits day! I had ginormous fun.
Thanks for sharing your story about the car accident. I'm not looking forward to next year when my daughter starts to drive. I will be a bundle of nerves.

Melissa Miller said...

Oh wow these are all beauties! :)

The Stylish House said...

Michelle,
What lovely lamps, I want to scoop them all up and take them home! Very interesting post with such good background information I enjoyed it!
~Cathy~

Queenie Jeannie said...

Such lovely lamps!! This was a wonderful post - thank you!!!

Julie said...

Those lamps are all stunning! Stopping by to welcome you to the SITS community :)

carma said...

So elegant. They really set the mood! Stoppin' by from SITS to say "hi" and welcome. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers!
carma :-)

sandy said...

I love that Tiffany lamp! So pretty!

I stopped by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood:0)

Taryn said...

I. Love. This. Blog! I would just love to have a Tiffany lamp. They are gorgeous.
Stopping by from SITS and wanted to welcome you to the SITStahood, Darling!

Love,
Taryn

K said...

I love Tiffany lamps.

I have a beautiful stain glass one.

Welcome to SITS!

Cammie said...

stopping by from SITS to welcome you!! Hope you have fun getting to know everyone!!

Joy said...

The Victorians sure knew how to rock the fancy!

Welcome to the SITS community!

So Not Mom-a-licious said...

I love Tiffany lamps and hope to own one some day. Maybe with my new house coming along I can make that happen!

I am stopping by to give you a big welcome to the SITStahood! We are so glad you could join us and look forward to seeing you around.

Ann On and On... said...

I am always so jealous of people who have purrrty decor within their houses. Some day!

Glad to have you join the SITSerhood. Come on over to my blog when you get a minute and be a part of my yummy giveaway. :D

Noah's Mommy said...

oh how fab are those....Love them....Welcome to SITS...so excited you've joined us....

Mike said...

Wow.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com
Twitter: AboutParenting
Photo ideas? 100 Portrait Ideas