Monday, May 25, 2009

Go Tropical With Eco-Friendly Furniture

Is it possible to decorate in style while trying to use renewable resources? The answer is absolutely! You just need to know where to look and what kind of materials are considered "renewable".


After learning that there is such a thing as "green" or "eco-friendly" decor and furniture last year, I set out to find a supplier that made this type of furniture. I came across a company called Padama's Plantation. Not only do they distribute beautiful, contemporary, tropical style furniture, they are also a founding member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council. The SFC is a non-profit coalition of suppliers, manufacturers, retailers and designers that promote sustainable practices through networking and education.



Sustainable or renewable materials are plants such as bamboo, rattan and abaca that grow rapidly and have the ability to replenish themselves quickly. Harvesting these types of materials responsibly actually promotes regrowth. This helps limit any damage to the natural ecosystem. Padama's Plantation works closely with the manufacturers who use sustainable practices and makes a concerted effort to package their products in a way that maximizes space usage on containers to reduce the amount of transporting for these products.




The furniture that is made from these renewable, tropical plants, is classy and unique. There are pieces for every room, including bedroom furniture, livingroom furniture and diningroom furniture. Whether you just need a new tropical headboard or an entire bed with bedroom accessories, you can easily add texture and an exotic look to your bedroom with these tropical style furnishings.






Adding tropical style furniture to your livingroom is a great way to create a relaxing, contemporary space that resembles your favorite island resort. You can carry on this look and feel into your diningroom with tropical style dining tables, chairs and barstools. These furnishings bring a sense of nature indoors and there are several different fabric choices for the upholstry.











Going green with this classy yet comfortable tropical furniture has never been easier!

7 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

FAB tips!

I am Mamarazzi and I am a Welcomista from SITS. I am here to welcome you to the SITStahood! You are going to LOVE this amazing community of women.

Stop at Dandelion Wishes and say hello and if you like follow me. I do a drawing for fun prizes each month EXCLUSIVELY from my list of followers...just for following, no need to stop in and comment everyday (though you might wanna, but who has time?) just follow...pretty cool right?! yeah, that's how I roll.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!

The Stylish House said...

Michelle,
What great looks and the fact it they are easy on the environment a huge plus in my book! I have always been impressed with the quality lines you have found and this is definitely a good one.
~Cathy~

dana said...

I personally love bamboo furniture. my lounge has a beautiful set of cane sofa. Eco friendly and durable furniture lasts long and are durable. it will give you a good return for your money. easily movable light weight and yet contemporary designs.

Michelle (hometc) said...

I need to apologize to 2 people who tried to leave a comment. I was trying to publish your comments while removing 1 ridiculously long spammy comment that was nothing more than a full page ad with like 20 links (come on! Nobody with any respect spams someone else's blog like that, shame on you!)Anyway, I accidently lost 2 and I'm sooo sorry! Especially if you were a new commenter as I always try to return the favor. I promise to be more careful in the future :)

Suzi said...

Good to know for when we need to buy new furniture.

Visiting from SITS.

Ghislaine said...

Nice decorations!! Like the beachy and jungle look. I painted my walls last month and found that this video helped me out a lot since I have never done a DIY project before. http://www.howcast.com/videos/716-How-To-Paint-a-Wall